Stop press ipv4 pool down to 2% as 4x /8s allocated in November

by Trefor Davies on Tuesday, 30 November, 2010

The title says it all. I’m travelling at the moment with only an iPad to create posts with but I note on the wire that the IANA address pool is down to 2%.

I will need to revise my exhaustion date but february is either looking good or too late. My main concern is that I need to get the Apocalypse IPv4 party organised but am unclear about the date.

The end of the ipv4 world is nigh :))))

{ 6 comments }

tref November 30, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Paper to follow on ipv6 for those that are interested

Liam Crozier (Legolash2o) December 1, 2010 at 9:44 am

I would be interested in reading about IPv6.

fahadsadah December 1, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Four /8s were allocated yesterday. This leaves seven remaining.

APNIC (the Asian-Pacific regional internet registry) is expected to request two towards the end of January. At this point, the n-1 policy would be invoked, and the remaining five would be allocated one-per-RIR. Exhaustion is less than three months away.

Ted King December 2, 2010 at 3:57 pm
Ted King December 3, 2010 at 1:58 pm

OOOH !!! IPv6 Address Test Page
Also of interest : “Exploiting Tomorrow’s Internet Today : Penetration Testing with IPv6 “ (Uninformed vol.10, art.3)

P.S. Yo, Tref – here’s an idea for a loose survey (thoroughly lacking in rigor) – invite people to visit a page with IPv6 links, have them click on one or more of them, and post comments relating whether or not they got through. The concept is to demonstrate how many people are running double-stacked (IPv4 + IPv6) with an IPv6 DNS resolver upstream of them. The instructions should ask the posters to name their ISP and region (*) so that a partial picture of who’s hot-to-trot (open collar vs. Windsor vs. Ascot ? :-)) and who’s not could be assembled.

*[e.g. AT+T has DNS servers near San Jose and Sacramento and OpenDNS (shows your IPv4 address at top) has its servers in San Francisco (all in Calif.,U.S.A.).]
NB – My SUSE 10 box uses one of each company’s DNS servers for redundancy purposes. I’ve had blockages in the past when I’ve used just one company’s DNS servers.

tref December 3, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Interesting idea ted. Will have a chat with the Netops boys about it.

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: