Superfast broadband video case study by Timico and Openreach

by Trefor Davies on Wednesday, 7 November, 2012

Never before seen footage of the inside of the Davies household now viewable on tinterweb.”

This is it, the video you’ve all been waiting for. Well I have anyway. A few weeks ago we shot some footage around and about Lincoln and chez Davies for a video case study of a Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) aka superfast fibre broadband installation.

Get your popcorn and fizzy drinks ready and settle in to your favourite armchair to watch this much anticipated movie. I don’t have an agent yet but if any major studios are interested in talking then you know how to get hold of me.

That’s all folks :)

Link to what BT has on their website http://www.btplc.com/ngb/News/Timico.htm

{ 9 comments }

Richard Smeeton November 7, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Tref, lucky that you only had to wait 6 months for FTTC! “My” cabinet finally arrived a year after the original Openreach estimate with no conservation area to hold it up. What router are you running there? I note it isn’t the usual BT Home Hub 3, which has a number of flaws including stability, security issues and problems with the GigE port only working at 100Mb/s.

tref November 7, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Richard
It’s a Technicolor router TG582n
atb
tref

Mark (ISPreview UK) November 8, 2012 at 8:49 am

Tref, any chance of a video that focuses more on the FTTC installation work at the cabinet and at your master socket? Not that I don’t like to watch you spin the many benefits of faster connectivity :), but as a techy I just like to see the actual process from start to finish.

We don’t have any videos that depict both sides of this process taking place, and in a logical sequence, which would have been very informative.

tref November 8, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Mark
I have got a load of other bits of video that might include some useful material like that. We shot a few hours worth altogether. Will plough through it and see if there is anything of use.
tref

Simon November 11, 2012 at 3:27 pm

That doesn’t seem like fibre broadband at all if you’re only getting 53Mbps, it sounds like rate adaptive VDSL2 to me.

It’s only a fibre connection when it’s an optical bearer the whole way (passive or active, but having a huge enough distance of copper in the circuit to drop the speed down to a paltry 53Mbps is really not fibre optic at all).

tref November 11, 2012 at 9:57 pm

80/20 FTTC

tref November 12, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I realise that really.just sticking with common usage borne out of millions of pounds spent conning the public at large.

Meirion Jones November 28, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Dear Trefor,
I was browsing some websites on the histories of some Carmarthenshire families & came across yours. I notice that our family trees overlap, with Donald Jones being a cousin of my father.

Here is the link to my family tree:

(you may have to copy & paste)

This is very much “work in progress” as with any work of this nature.

By the way, I simply Googled your name from the genealogy site and arrived at this page!

All the best,

Meirion,
West Wales.

tref November 28, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Diolch yn fawr Meirion. A somewhat unusual route in but hey…

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: