Google’s Sarah Hunter impresses at the Communications Bill Forum.
Google’s Head of UK Public Policy, Sarah Hunter was a breath of fresh air at last week’s Communications Bill Forum. Firstly she was one of the few speaking without just reading out a prepared speech. It can get boring listening to someone reading out their notes.
Secondly she offered a perspective based on a platform as opposed to most of the other speakers who were largely either content providers or pipes.
- The government should not make policies that favour specific industries without considering the wider impact elsewhere.
- Open platforms should be protected – both content and pipes need them and they are expensive to build and maintain
- Keep a sensible approach to data protection. In other words allow targeted advertising. The direction the EU is going is not good in this respect.
- Encourage and promote investment in computer science and engineering – engineers are taking over the world.
- Concentrate on consumer education – digital literacy and consumer empowerment. In other words keep kids safe online by education (and not mandatory web filtering – my words).