Dan Dan the cybersecurity man @Dantiumpro

Dan Summers UK Cybersecurity Champion

Meet @Dantiumpro aka Dan Summers, UK National Cybersecurity Champion.  Dan came to stay with the Davies family on Saturday night and we went out for a few beers to belatedly celebrate his win.

I met Dan through Twitter and, believe it or not, this was our first physical meeting.  In fact we only decided to do it that lunchtime via Twitter – he had the day off on Sunday. Dan currently works as a postman for the Royal Mail in Wakefield but following his victory, in which he beat off 4,000 contenders, he is moving departments to look after Information Security for the Royal Mail Group.

It’s a great story and clearly Dan is no ordinary postman. The competition involved cracking ciphers to break through different layers of security. I’d tell you more but it’s on a need to know basis:)  Dan is no one trick pony.  He is also a poet and has started contributing to philosopherontap under the pseudonym Dantiumpro which happens also to be his Twitter handle.

It’s good to know that the Royal Mail is going to be secure in his hands. Note they are making him deliver the mail right up until next Saturday after which he gets one day off before starting the new job.

It’s also good to know I have a very understanding wife who puts up with these spur of the moment houseguest decisions:)

share on Facebook share on LinkedIn 4share on Twitter share on Googleshare on Comments

8 thoughts on “2012 FTTC & FTTP Exchanges Announced

1. cyberdoyle says:

don’t feel sorry for us, we feel sorry for all those stuck on fttc for their lifetimes. Its obsolete before it goes in. Liv Garfield has already said they will not be upgraded.
    http://bit.ly/je8Rlu cabinet areas will never get real #ftth #nga #digitalbritainmyarse

2. Somerset says:

So cd, you are jealous of all the 10 million with 30M by the end of next year?!

Have you read about FTTC speeds increasing? Still no good?

Not suprisingly there is little news of applications beyond HD video we need high bandwidth for. Links to telehealth/medicine I’m pointed at do not give bandwidth requirements. Similarly smart metering for reading and appliance control require little bandwidth and can be done now with existing broadband (dial up even?) once standards are agreed.

ps – many thousands homework now.

It’s all down to demand and funding.

3. HmmmUK says:

@cyberdoyle
    I would rather take my chance and be ‘stuck’ with FTTC than be ‘stuck’ with my 20CN line! ;)(58xx kbps on 51db Attenuation)

4. arun says:

Hi all

im wondering if someone can answer my query. my exchange is on the list to get FTTC @ end of year / 2012. i live 1.4 miles by road from the exhchange and i believe that the green cabinet is near the top of my road probably around450m from my door ….. is that a normal distance to get fibre optic? i read that some people are further from a cabinet and still receive decent internet connection…. via the fftc way??

any info to help clear my muddy thoughts?

thanks!

1. Trefor Davies tref says:

Arun,
      The fibre should run from the exchange to your cabinet with no problem (in theory ! :) ). The 450 metres from the cabinet to your house will not be fibre unless you are getting FTTP. However the copper should be fine for this distance – again in theory. In fact by the time you get FTTC BT will probably have upped the underlying carrier frequency to reach further from the cabinets and provide higher broadband data rates.

Note that the BT advertising always talks about fibre broadband. This is somewhat misleading as FTTC is not fibre but copper. OK there is fibre in the network but this is also true for existing ADSL technology.
      Hope this helps
      Cheers
      Tref

5. arun says:

Hi tref, thanks for the clarification. i guess im just asking experts in the field because i read on BT infinity website (when checking their fibre map)the question:

BT Infinity has reached my area, but the line checker says I can’t get it?

their answer:

– Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable BT Infinity service

BUT
    and they havent really stated what that sort of distance is. 1 mile. 1 km? etc.

thanks for your help.

6. Bean says:

Arun, although your exchange may be enabled, the cabinet your line is connected to must also be enabled. The distance from the cabinet itself shouldn’t really make too much of a difference here, but it must be enabled or you will not get the service.

7. arun says:

ok Bean I understand. fingers crossed then, i hope it will as its quite a busy road!

thanks for the reply.