Headset socket on my Samsung Galaxy S3 is not working – audio problem

by Trefor Davies on Sunday, 17 June, 2012

Samsung Galaxy S3 seen next to a Samsung Galaxy S2Much as it pains me I have to tell you that the headset socket on my Samsung Galaxy S3 is not working. I found out because during the week I started to net no audio on my phone though it would work in speakerphone mode.

When this first happened I checked all the settings and there was nothing obvious. Switching bluetooth off seemed to do the trick and I put it down to somehow the phone not having unhitched itself from my Parrot car kit. I can see my car from my panoramic office window:)

It must have been a coincidence because it is now happening all the time. In the wee small hours of this morning I woke up and googled the problem. I found an android forum with a thread that showed the same problem on a different model of handset.

If you had been using the headset sometimes the sensor didn’t work to show that the plug was no longer in the socket. I had to wait until morning to confirm this on my phone. My wife Anne would not have been too happy if I had accidentally switched something noisy on the phone during the night.

I can indeed confirm that the problem lies with the headset socket. Nothing in fact works through the headset.

Sigh. Someone on Twitter mentioned that this sort of thing often happens when a phone reaches end of life. Unfortunately this is the wrong end.

Its worth noting I still haven’t finished testing all the features on the Samsung Galaxy S3. The bit where the phone isn’t supposed to switch off doesn’t seem to work all the time and I have supposedly disabled the LED for alerts but it still comes on. Early days for the S3 I guess.

We are about to find out how well the returns system works!

Other Galaxy S3 problems here.

{ 26 comments }

kevin June 26, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I am having same issue with headset but was hopping to find a fix with out sending to Samsung. I love the phone and don’t want to be with out it…

tref June 26, 2012 at 3:41 pm

hmm sorry Kevin but it was easy for me as I handed it to someone else to sort. it does feel like a hardware issue though but I guess there could be a firmware solution.

Claire July 2, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Please do post if you find a solution to this. It’s a pain in the butt. tvm C

diego July 3, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Hi. Same thing here. It’s very upsetting. A new 700 euros gadget, that doesn’t work. I love the telephone, but with no music it’s a no…

david July 4, 2012 at 10:32 pm

hey guys.. i had the same issue.. and then realized that i didn’t have it ‘plugged’ in all the way.. try pushing a bit harder.. not to hard and make sure the ‘shaft’ of the headset is all the way in with the white portion of the headset touching the ‘frame’ of the phone… hope this is your issue too :-)

bypassere July 7, 2012 at 4:02 pm

i also had the same problem, so worried that the audio jack is faulty…(because i ever face the same issue on my old blackberry 8900)

try resetting the phone by holding the right button on the side, and choose reset.
i tried and my audio jack is working again~! cheers samsung!

Marcelo Vanzuita July 10, 2012 at 3:17 am

Cheers

tref July 10, 2012 at 9:52 am

Thanks to both bypassere and Marcelo for the comments. Interesting to note that when I did my original searches online for ideas for a fix there was nothing there – almost certainly because the phone was so new – people hadn’t had a chance to find problems & report them. I guess if I were to do the same thing now I’d find a lot more info out there – this blog included.

David – that was definitely not my issue but I can see how it would happen.

Diana July 13, 2012 at 11:36 am

Plug the headset in, restart (or power off then on) the phone and the headset will be detected

Diana

laila July 14, 2012 at 7:01 am

david is right… i had the same problem as everyone else i just followed david’s instruction and VOILA … it worked .. thanks god for that ..thanx david

tref July 15, 2012 at 3:25 pm

That’s great Laila & many thanks to David for the tip:)

nivlac July 16, 2012 at 9:39 pm

i have just 1 headphone working i have 2 s3`s and tried it on both and they are the same i tried playing with the mono section but made no diffeance, tried all above tips but still only 1 working on both phones any more ideas thanks

Neil July 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm

It worked for me too. Plug the headphones in, restart the phone and it’s detected them flawlessly ever since.

Thanks guys

Jim July 20, 2012 at 7:58 am

Thanks everyone for your help.I reset mine to & hey presto it’s working.

Brad July 24, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I had the same problem. No phone call sound coming through the headphones even when they are plugged in. But I was using aftermarket earbuds. I then tried the white earbuds that came with the phone, and presto, it worked. I do not know how they are different, but it seems that although music, and other sounds work with any earbuds, the phone will only consistently work with the “magic” Samsung earbuds that came in the box. You might try that. Hope this helps.

tref July 24, 2012 at 6:06 pm

This has been quite a useful set of comments -thanks to all for their contributions:)

Laxmi July 26, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Thanks all for your suggestions ! it’s resolved now.

Simon July 28, 2012 at 11:04 am

I’m having this problem too…everything worked until I plugged in a fake connector for the past day. But that shouldnt be a problem ahould it? It was plastic…shouldmt be detected by the phone anyway :L Need to solve this :(

FERNANDO R SILVA July 30, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Marcelo Vanzuita, your solution fits at all with me too.

Thanks, guy!

Marcelo Vanzuita says:
“Guys, I was having the same problem. Try resetting your phone with the headphones jacket in. It resolved my problem.

Cheers”

Sameer July 30, 2012 at 7:46 pm

It worked for me too….thanks…:)

rob July 31, 2012 at 10:29 am

Ok lets stop repeating the whole reset thing. Although, the white headphones that it came with work fine, they’re crappy headphones. We need a solution to use our favorites headphones and resetting all the time isn’t realistic.

Bishw August 2, 2012 at 11:09 am

I have Samsung galaxy s3, had same problem. I can listen to music through my earpiece but my problem is a bit different from yours. my earpiece volume button can not increase or decrease volume. I can not return calls while i am listening to music even though I can hear phone is ringing. I had to disconnect the earpiece from my phone to return calls, this is the third phone I have changed from my operators with different earpiece or headphone. i have tried all the tips and support from you. i would be grateful if anyone there able to help me

thanks

bigdadday August 2, 2012 at 10:47 pm

Thanks guys restarting did it for me as well , But audio jack connection symbol is not showing on top..:| any inputs on this issue???
thanks

jihad August 3, 2012 at 5:42 am

Thanks David :)..it worked for me !!

Nir Gurung August 4, 2012 at 11:30 am

i have a same problem and i was struggling to sort out by resetting but i switched off the device and switched on then it worked.

Mohamed August 6, 2012 at 11:39 am

Just restart the phone and it will work.

Thanks “bypassere”

Comments on this entry are closed.

Previous post: