An evening with Julian Huppert MP – Internet Hero #fundraiser

julian_huppert_mpI’m not in the least bit political. If I get involved on the periphery of Parliamentary discussions and debate it is because I occasionally see MPs trying to implement legislation that doesn’t make sense in our modern internet based world. This is often because MPs have so much information thrown t them that they have to resort to keeping ideas simple so that they can get their brain around them.

Unfortunately when it comes to legislation that touches the internet, and by default touches those of us whose livelihood depends in one way or another (an increasingly large cohort of people) on the internet, the simplistic view often taken by MPs is often at odds with the practical workings of internet technologies.

We end up spending a lot of time and money fending off such legislation, more often than not pretty successfully but usually after great effort and pain. This is because it takes an age for people (MPs) who because of the practicalities of their job have to look at complex issues very simplistically.

I’m all for keeping things simple (stupid) but we also need people in our Parliament who can get their brain around the complexities associated with the internet. What to the layman is a simple network that “just works” is in reality a hugely complex ecosystem. In fact the complex issues faced by MPs often extend to non-technical considerations such as the privacy of the individual In reality it is difficult to separate the technical issues from the non technical as they feed off each other.

One of the few Members of Parliament who does understand these issues is Dr Julian Huppert, MP for Cambridge. His background is research science at Cambridge University. Julian has taken a very active participation in internet and technology related debates in the House of Commons and was one of the leading opponents of the Digital Economy Act that was (outrageously in many people’s view) rushed through in the dying days of the last Labour government.

Because of his work supporting the internet industry, last summer Julian was awarded the Internet Hero Award at the annual ISP Association Awards dinner. Since then he served on the Parliamentary Select Committee looking at the Draft Data Communications Bill (Snooper’s Charter) and was highly influential in the decision making that lead to the Bill being killed it off for this Parliament.

We need to keep MPs like Julian in the House of Commons. He is good for the internet. He understands the issues. MPs need to raise a lot of cash to pay for their election campaign. I assume the next election will be in 2015 but much will go on between now and then.

I have agreed to help Julian by organising a fundraising dinner on his behalf. He is a Liberal Democrat but this is not a party political issue. In fact this is a technology blog not a political blog.

Whatever your political beliefs, if you work in a business, or maybe it is your business, that makes its living from the internet it is in your interest to support Julian.

So this is an invitation to you to a Fundraising Dinner entitled “An  Evening with Julian Huppert – Internet Hero”. This dinner, on Tuesday 25th February,  is a sit down job at the National Liberal Club in Whitehall – a totally high class environment if you’ve never been.

At £300 a head this isn’t a cheap do but we have to remember that the idea is to help raise funds to get Julian re-elected. We won’t be stinting on the quality of the food and drink in any case.

You will be in the company of 49 other influential people from the internet industry so it will also be a great night for networking. We shouldn’t forget that it will also be an opportunity to share your thoughts with Julian.

Click here to find out more or drop me a line if you want to talk about it.

That’s all for now. Please help if you can.

5share on Facebook 1share on LinkedIn 19share on Twitter 6share on Google4share on Comments

11 thoughts on “Intro & Password Pain by @LindseyAnnison

1. Alex Kinch says:

Most people I know use 1Password or LastPass – worth checking out both.

2. Bjorn Bojen says:

It all depends how secure you need to be. It’s a different issue for me than it is the prime minister.

If you have multiple complex login details which are strong against dictionary attacks it might not be a bad idea to write them down in your organiser/diary. Or perhaps a .txt file in your Google drive docs / Dropbox.

One is vulnerable to being physically found, left in the street or at a cafe, while the other is susceptible to being discovered after losing a device, or to someone who’s gained entry to your cloud documents.

The main thing to bear in mind is that simple word-based passwords with an odd number here and there can be very easy to crack and if you only have one password across all accounts it only takes one to be compromised and they’re all in trouble by association!

3. PhilT says:

I’ve often contemplated an encrypted file to hold passwords sitting on a public server with the private key kept on a fingerprint secured USB or something along those lines. A file on Google Drive or the like would be an option I guess, as most approaches need you to remember one password to get at the others. Something with a password recovery system using SMS has an appeal.

It’s a mess, perhaps two factor biometrics on every device are the way ahead.

4. Miles says:

1Password works a treat and syncs across Windows, OSX, iOS and any number of devices via Dropbox. It will generate passwords for you and find and log into URLS on one click. All you have to remember is one very good master password. Try it…

5. Lindsey Annison Lindsey Annison says:

OK, thanks for the suggestions. I am starting with iPassword as two of you mentioned that! I am against writing anything down as my paperless office isn’t and the chance of finding the relevant dead tree again is minimal!

I like the idea of my private key being kept on me, but dread the day this leads to implants or similar and someone chopping my arm off to get at my bank details – fat lot of good that will do them, but it could inconvenience me!

Cheers for the image, Chris 😉

EDIT: I would have started with iPassword, except it says this on iTunes:

iPassword – easy to use application to generate and restore generated passwords. iPassword use strong SHA-256 encryption algorithm designed by National Security Agency, USA.

Talk about a turn off!

6. Martyn Dews says:

I can recommend LastPass. I have used it for some time now to manage my passwords. All are not known by me. LastPass also allows use of Google Authenticator to 2FA can be used too.

7. Khad Young says:

Lindsey,

It appears you have been duped by an impostor. This is a growing problem on the App Store, and we’ve been in contact with Apple about this.

To be sure you are getting the correct app, you can use the links on our website: https://agilebits.com

The product is called “1Password” (as in: the only *one* you need to remember once you store all your data securely in 1Password). It is a play on Apple’s product-naming prefix. :)

If you are interested in the technical details of our data format, you may want to check out our blog post “You have secrets; we don’t. Why our data format is public”:

Links to the technical documents are in the second paragraph there. You may also want to read “1Password and The Crypto Wars” which addresses what I surmise to be your concern with that other app:

Of course, if you have any other questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate t get in touch. I’ll do my best to monitor the comments here, but we are always available via email:

support@ agilebits .com

Cheers!

Khad Young, AgileBits

8. Khad Young says:

Oops. Previous post should have said: “It is NOT a play on Apple’s product-naming prefix.” Sorry about that.

9. Lindsey Annison Lindsey Annison says:

Many thanks to Khad for the explanation. Along with whoever is sending your tweets, you just got yourself a sale. That last tweet brightened a dreary Monday early evening so give whoever sent it a raise!!

For anyone who missed it, we went via passwords to pens to petrol and back again https://twitter.com/1Password/status/438008544718110721

10. Khad Young says:

Haha! That @1Password has a mind of its own on Twitter sometimes. I’m delighted to know that you have joined the AgileBits family and that your day is a little brighter. We’re here if you ever need anything. :)

A very helpful tip, if I may: ⌘\ is your password now, and he has a posse: